Situated in the northwest section of Northern Samar, Capul appears on the map like an irregular rice grain shape, 14 kilometers in length and 5 kilometers in its widest section. It has a land area of 35 squares kilometers bounded by Sa Bernardino Strait that opens the eastern Seagate of the Philippines to the Pacific Ocean with the southermost tip of Luzon on the opposite side.
Distance from the Capital Town: 100.5 kms
Approximate Travel Time: 2.5hrs: 1hr land trip to allen; 1hr boat ride
Places of Interest
16th CENTURY ST. IGNATIUS CHURCH
It is the remains of a 16th century church with an eleven-meter high belfry that is still standing. The church was the third one that the Spanish priests built in the area. In 1781, a Spanish Architect priest led the restoration of the church and built a stonewall fortress, about 2.5 meters high that surrounded the place. At that time, the church was considered the most beautiful edifice in the whole province of Samar. Portions of the church are already ruined, 85% has been preserved in its original form.
FARO DE ISLA CAPUL (Capul Lighthouse)
This is a historical landmark of the American presence in this island. Built by the US Army Corps and Engineers, it is 143 feet above sea level with a 40-foot tower that commands a panoramic view of the San Bernardino Strait and extending towards the Pacific Ocean. the topographical outline of Southern Luzon can be seen on clear weather and the province of Masbate to the south. Facing San Bernardino Strait are three circular Japanese World War II gun emplacements. The place once served as a guidepost for traveling vessels.
Banadero means “a watering hole” built in 17th century by the Spaniards and until now the site is considered as the primary source of potable water by the local people. The place is now utilize as the laundry area and a water station of nearby residents. Never been dry ever since.